Monday, April 21, 2008

Defending romance novels

Over at the Harlequin Intrigue writers' blog, Dana poses an interesting comment (it's short so I'll quote all of it):

I was interviewed today and one of the questions was, What do I tell to people who don't think romance is serious fiction?

Mostly, I only talk to my readers who think romance IS serious fiction :-) Does a book have to be "serious" to be enjoyable? What does "serious fiction" even mean?

Do you read other fiction outside of romance? I read pretty widely. Some books make me cry, some books make me laugh. I have to say, I prefer a happy ending. I hate when the hero or heroine dies at the end of a book. HATE it.


Here is what I posted on the site (with a little extra mustard):

As a beginning romance writer, I still find myself pre-defending the writing of a romance novel. That is, I tell people that I'm writing a romantic suspense novel...and-immediately-start-trying-to-defend-it. I don't know why I do that, but I do.

Fiction is fiction. Entertainment is entertainment. Pure and simple. "Serious" fiction is a label given by people who think if a story is imponderable and boring, it must be serious. I've read simple books and seen mainstream movies that have changed my outlook on life. That's serious to me.

Don't worry about it, Dana. Keep at it. And I'll join you as soon as possible.

I'll add one more thing: there is a part of me that actually enjoys...no, not a good word...appreciates a sad ending. Romeo and Juliet would not be the same given a happy ending. Oh, and the new ending for the movie "The Mist" I absolutely hate. But it absolutely fits the movie.

No comments: